Friday

Back to School Recipes

First off,OVERNIGHT OATMEAL CHOCOLATE WAFFLES:
We started a "tradition" when my oldest daughter started Kindergarten by having chocolate waffles topped with fruit on the first day of school. This recipe is awesome for a couple of reasons: 1- they are packed with oatmeal (and only have the tiniest bit of cocoa) so they are filling and healthy, and 2- they can either be made all at once (after they have sat overnight) and frozen, then popped right in the toaster before school, or my favorite is to make the batter and store it in an airtight container in your refigerator the night before school starts, then pull out your waffle iron and make them nice and fresh while the kids are getting dressed, then put it back in the fridge till the next morning:). 
2 1/4 cups flour
2 Tbsp. sugar
1 pkg. active dry yeast
1/2 tsp salt
1 3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/3 cup oil
1 cup oatmeal
2 Tbsp. cocoa powder

In large mixing bowl stir together flour, sugar, yeast, salt, oatmeal, and cocoa. Add milk, eggs, and oil. Beat till thoroughly combined. Cover loosely and refrigerate overnight.
Stir batter. Pour about 3/4 cup batter into a preheated lightly greased waffle baker. 
Top with fresh fruit, or syrup, or butter and powdered sugar.
* If chocolate-oatmeal is not your thing, you can omit the cocoa and oatmeal and add 1/4 tsp cinnamon :)



I like to have these in my freezer so I can pull them out and stick in right in the lunch box! 
Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup butter 
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
2 1/2 - 3 cups flour.
1/2 bag milk chocolate chips
1/2 bag semi-sweet chocolate chips

Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs and slowly stir together. In a separate bowl mix together the dry ingeredients (at first only adding 2 1/2 cups of the flour) Slowly stir in the dry ingredients with a wooden spoon just until everything is barely mixed together. Add chocolate (I sometimes add M&Ms if I have them). Again just barely stir them in..don't over-mix. 
Set in the refrigerator for one hour before baking at 350 for 8 minutes or until lightly golden. (of they are too flat you can add the rest of the flour.
I like to bake them, let them cool, wrap individually in plastic wrap and then put them in a gallon sized freezer bag in the freezer so I can get them out all ready for the lunch box or an after school treat.


1 comment:

  1. I MUST try those waffles. Why didn't you make them for my this morning for my first day of school :( I have frozen quesadillas for lunch in my freezer, but I might just have to do some cookies too...I like that!

    ReplyDelete